Image Map

Saturday, 4 November 2017

Krakow: Krakowska Manufaktura Czekolady

Dearest sweethearts,

"All you need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" said Charles Schulz. Justus von Liebig used to say that "chocolate is a perfect food, as wholesome as it is delicious, a beneficent restorer of exhausted power... it is the best friend of those engaged in literary pursuits." They were right. They were all right, including Forest Bump, saying that "life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get!" Wise man connecting their thoughts to this lovely thing called chocolate. Now don't get me wrong, I like chocolate but I'm not that crazy about sweets in general. I know there are moments in which a piece of chocolate can go a long way and keep you alive and kicking. A piece of dark chocolate, for example, taken before heavy exercise at the gym, can prevent you from feeling any muscle aches. Also dark chocolate is very good for your heart. Chocolate can be a remedy, something good for you, if you take small dosages. Now... I know some people who eat a whole chocolate at a sitting - I'm not like that and I woulnt even attempt it! I would be sick after one row! But occasionally... one can indulge!

The best time for hot chocolate is when the weather outside gets upset and turns rainy, windy and foggy. The perfect thing to warm and cheer you up can be a cup of hot cocoa or hot chocolate. I prefer to real and unwind with some hot tea, but when I go out I sometimes experiment. Now I've never been to Krakowska Manufaktura Czekolady but I've always heard mixed up opinions about it, so when a friend proposed to go out in the Old Town for something warm, this name popped out. Reading the reviewed you will see that the pluses all come from the good hot chocolate, the chocolate cubes they make, the ornaments in many shapes and sizes, the smell of melted chocolate and the great location - just at the end of Florianska Street, on the corner with Mariacki (St. Mary's Church). All minuses come from the waiting time to get your menu, to get your order, to get your food/drinks, to get your receipt and pay. Well I can truly say "been there, done that!" And I totally agree with all the above! The serving is horrible, but that's not the fault of the waitresses! There were 3 fine young ladies, moving as fast as they could, taking orders from both upstairs and downstairs. The location was filled to the brim and they also have the take-out options, which gets them even more crowded.
It is true, the lady that served us made some mistakes, forgot part of the order, mixed another part (I wanted waffles with whipped cream it but I ended up with hot choco ones, so I just asked her to add the whipped cream on top). The payment downstairs can't be done via card, you need to get upstairs and stay in line to pay... which was not really nice. The place has a nice athmosphere and vibe, all tables and chairs are wooden and there are handmade tops on the table. It's not noisy and the waffles were good, warm and soft. I can't complain about the product itself. The serving of the product is the issue and I think that could be due to the understanding and/or not having good enough training. I felt as if they needed at least 2 more people to run the place. It's a shame, especially as it is a central location and the chocolate items are really good! 

I would like to go there again and try more of their products. I wanted some mulled wine but unfortunately they did not have that at the time being. Also the chocolate cakes that they have looked delicious. In case you are looking for a top for your wedding cake they have bride & groom pairs out of white and dark chocolate for sale  ;) 
The prices:
- hot cocoa - 6 zloty
- hot chocolate - 12-13 zloty, depending on the type of flavour. It comes in small cups of 200 grams and it's quite sweet and strong, pure melted chocolate
- Pancakes - with cheese or with chocolate - 10 zloty
- waffles - 9,5-10,5 depending on the topping that you will have and if you also want some fruits added. Try the hot chocolate & whipped cream one!
- tea (there is a large assortment but mainly of black teas, a few green ones) - 9,5-10 zloty

Yours very much truly,
The Twisted Red Ladybug That Loves xxx